Few weeks ago, we read an article written on a newlywed who was a victim of “wedding scams”. I had read the article to know what had gone wrong & how Wedding Scams operate in the industry.
So basically, the story was about a couple who wanted an extravagant floral décor at their reception on a low budget. However, what they got was beyond ridiculous if I may say. Now after reading this article, I concluded that the two parties (the couple as Clients and the vendor – the décor company) was at fault in some ways.
Bride Cher Austin dreamed of a magnificently laid-out spread, pictured, to celebrate her marriage and thought 'venue dresser' Michelle Hargreaves' business would be able to provide it. But what Cher Austin got was a room looking barren, (as pictured) with only two chair ribbons, some pink paper table toppings and ‘three dusty old bird cages’
First of all, as Clients working with a tight budget, they needed to cut their clothes according to their size.
On the part of the vendor, clients are allowed to have dreams of how they want their big day to be like. It is the vendor’s job to work with them and make this day a reality by making sure they understand the following:
1. Their budget was too low to have something as extravagant as that.
2. Give them alternatives similar to their vision but explain to them why they have been offered this option – low budget
3. Direct them to other vendors that might be able to accommodate their tight budget if your company is a luxury company targeting the high-end customers (this is ok).
What you do NOT do!
1. Give your clients false hope
2. Not turn up at the event
3. Give them décor they didn’t agree to hence causing heart ache for them
In the event and hospitality industries, lots of clients are clueless about the cost and pricing of things that they sometimes have unrealistic dreams about how they want their day to be on a very tight or low budget.
This is why I believe it is important to have Event Consultation with a reputable company in order to give you advice and options with your budget. At the consultation stage, the event consultant would be able to assess your budget and your dream event and help you align accordingly in order to still have what you want with your budget. Now, this might mean removing some activities or items that are not necessary for the event.
1. It is key to be realistic with your dream event and your budget
2. Speak to a reputable and experienced event consultant to help you in determining some key factors in your event – aligning your budget with your dream event.
3. Event companies that only cater to luxury events should simply refer clients to other event companies that can accommodate and plan events on a budget.
4. Do not be afraid to approach an event company for a consultation just because you have a tight budget. There are Event companies out there like us willing to listen and help you bring that dream to life while working with your budget and still exceed your expectations.